Matron C M (Kitty) Lewis [1]

Matron C. M. (Kitty) Lewis

Miss C M (Kitty) Lewis commenced as Matron at the Rockhampton General Hospital in late December 1964. Miss Lewis replaced Matron Margaret Graham at the hospital. It was her first appointment as Matron. Miss Lewis trained as a nurse at the Charleville Hospital and worked at several Queensland hospitals before working overseas for four years. She spent two years at the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases in London and 16 months at the 1500-bed Westminster Hospital in Ontario, Canada. In 1961 she gained a Diploma in Nursing Administration at the special College in Melbourne set up 10 years earlier. This diploma is held by only about 10 other Queenslanders. Matron Lewis also held three other nursing certificates and worked at the Bundaberg, Warwick and Princess Alexandra Hospitals.

Before accepting the Rockhampton position, Miss Lewis was Deputy Matron at the Townsville General Hospital.

 Matron Kitty Lewis with colleagues at a Royal Austalian Nursing Federation meeting

The photograph at the far left shows Matron Lewis in one of the wards at the Rochampton Hospital at the commencement of her term as Matron. The second photograph shows her in a group attending a Royal Australian Nursing Federation function.

 

Sources

1. Written by Mrs Yvonne Kelley, March 2008 based on extracts of an article in The Morning Bulletin 31 December 1964.

Corner