Childrens Hospital Rockhampton 1888
Title Childrens Hospital Rockhampton 1888
Description The Childrens Hospital was originally established by the Benevolent Society in 1889. This is an 1888 sketch of the planned first 30 bed building to be situated on the corner of Agnes St and Denham St Extended directly across Agnes Street from the Rockhampton Girls Grammar School. Over the years extensions and wings were added to make a much larger hospital to accommodate 62 children in 5 wards. In 1929 the Childrens Hospital was relocated to become part of the Rockhampton Hospital on Canning and North Streets. This original building was later used as nursing quarters for the Childrens Hospital. The Benevolent Society had been established on 01 August 1866 and played a key role in caring for the needy, particularly women and children (McDonald, 1995, p. 361).
Image Number 4
Publisher Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc
Source (Original) Capricornian Melbourne Exhibition Supplement 25 August 1888 p.35s
Subject Historic buildings
Subject Hospitals
Subject Rockhampton. Childrens Hospital
Coverage - Spatial Agnes Street, Rockhampton, Queensland
Coverage - Spatial Denham Street Extended, Rockhampton, Queensland
Coverage - Time ca. 1888
Format of Original copy print from sketch : b&w 24.2 cm x 14.7 cm; Scan .tif 14.2 MB 2850 x 1742 pixels.
Digital Format image/jpeg
Rights This image is provided for the purpose of private study and research and must not be reproduced without the permission of the Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.

Corner