Lady Goodwin Hospital Rockhampton
Title Lady Goodwin Hospital Rockhampton
Description View from North Street of the Lady Goodwin Hospital which was part of the Rockhampton Hospital on the corner of North and Canning Streets Rockhampton. The central lift tower is located between the Lady Goodwin and the original Rockhampton Hospital building. At the time of its opening by the Home Secretary Mr J Stopford on 26 June 1930 the building was identified as a new maternity ward at the Rockhampton Hospital. The announcement that it would be called the Lady Goodwin Maternity Hospital in honour of the wife of the then Governor of Queensland was made on 25 April 1931. The first babies were born on 09 October 1930. The building was demolished in 1986. Information sources: 1930 'HISTORIC OCCASION.', Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1878-1954), 27 June, p. 5, viewed 7 February, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article55371443; 1931 'MATERNITY HOSPITAL.', Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1878-1954), 25 April, p. 12, viewed 7 February, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article55384262; 1930 'CHRISTENING CUPS WON.', The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864-1933), 10 October, p. 20, viewed 7 February, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21592316.
Image Number 38
Publisher Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc
Source (Original)
Subject Historic buildings
Subject Hospitals
Subject Lady Goodwin Hospital
Coverage - Spatial North Street, Rockhampton, Queensland
Coverage - Time ca. 1940
Format of Original photographic print: sepia on card (24.2 x 13.5 cm); Scan .tif file 13.2 MB (2846 x 1614 pixels)
Digital Format image/jpeg
Rights This image is provided for the purpose of private study and research and must not be reproduced without the permission of the Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.

Corner