Avonleigh Rockhampton ca. 1906
Title Avonleigh Rockhampton ca. 1906
Description Avonleigh, situated at 248 Quay Street, was constructed for Mr Fred Morgan of the Mt Morgan Mine in 1885. It was one of the first grand mansions built in Rockhampton. Dr Daniel Patrick O'Brien purchased and extended the building to serve as a private hospital in 1906. This photograph appeared in The Queenslander on 26 May 1906 with the caption "Dr D. P. O'Brien's Private Hospital, Avonleigh, Rockhampton". An accompanying article described the refurbished hospital in detail. The building was restored in the 1970's and has been used in recent years to house a Doctor's surgery for Dr John Lowrey. The building is still in existence but is not currently being used for medical purposes. Source: The Queenslander, 26 May 1906 retrieved National Library of Australia http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page2462789 accessed 02 October 2010.
Image Number 11
Publisher Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.
Source (Original) The Queenslander 26 May 1906 p. 25
Subject Historic buildings
Subject Hospitals
Subject Mansions
Subject Rockhampton. Avonleigh
Coverage - Spatial 248 Quay Street, Rockhampton, Queensland
Coverage - Time 1906
Format of Original photographic image: b&w (24 cm x 13.8 cm); Scan .tif file 13.7 MB 2837 x 1642 pixels
Digital Format image/jpeg
Rights This image is provided for the purpose of private study and research and must not be reproduced without the permission of the Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.

Corner